12.23.2009

LWE on Vinyl

Good essay here taking a more personal perspective on the vinyl vs digital debate.

As you can imagine, a miserable bastard like me has all sorts of things to say about this issue (and just in case you were wondering, vinyl, every week), but I want to reiterate a point originally made not by me and yet I cannot offer a citation. The relationship of techno to technology has never been an unquestioning one. Never mind the nebulous concept of "soul", techno has always been about turning machinery towards achieving the goals of humanity and culture. If a technology does not serve these things, there is no reason to embrace it.
Ultimately, for whatever reason, a lot of people out there subconsciously seem to want to be replaced. I wish I could find something exciting in this, "the future". Humanism feels so reactionary nowadays and yet...

No comments: