6.28.2011

Good Songs Ruined By Good Movies

1. Born Slippy/NUXX - I don't think I would actually play this out even without the movie connection - it's just not "my" Underworld track and never has been.

2. Goodbye Horses - Jonathan Demme owes me an apology (not really - I heard this first in the damn movie too). Nice, dark, track that still sounds a lot more like what I always wanted Goth to sound like than Goth ever did. I wonder if it really is too late or if constant play at a weekly residency might reclaim it for some moody, druggy, subterranean dancefloor somewhere. It may help if somehow Silence of the Lambs becomes a cult movie. People aged 21 were zero or one when the film came out. Fuck! Getting older is going to be interesting!

Forgive me: I'd play this. I'd play this hard. See, even I can't help it!

3. Dark and Long (Dark Train Mix) - Another one form Trainspotting. It may help that this was a huge record before the film came out. I might get a copy.

4. I can't think of more now, but I'm sure you can. Post your comments and I'll add your choices.

5 comments:

David K Wayne said...

Pearl's Girl is the Underworld track for me. They used it as the theme to some stoopid TV show here, about a 'rogue' psychiatrist (!) but luckily it flopped and only lasted one for one series. The tune remained largely untainted, although Underworld tend to play behind sports results a fair bit.

:-p said...

You bring up an interesting contrast between the US and the UK. I remember going over there around a decade ago and hearing an Underground Resistance track being used as background music during a BBC 1 show and just totally being blown away because I didn't even know anyone who knew that record in the flesh back here in the USA (except for the employees of the record store where I bought that particular UR release).

But there is another side of it too. Hearing cricket results as "MMM Skyscraper I Love You" is on in the background must be weird...

+1 on Pearl's Girl. Juanita too. I can listen to "Dubno..." much more easily as an album but "Second Toughest..." has my favorite tracks.

David K Wayne said...

Was it Jupiter Jazz or Hi-tech Jazz by UR? They were pretty popular for a while. Think I may have heard both on TV anyway.

:-p said...

It was "Jaguar".

David K Wayne said...

Ah now I remember - I always mistake that one for Jeff Mills solo. They love that stuff for footy results (probably a reflection of what media dogsbodies do with their leisure time).

I remember not feeling that 'alternative' when they started playing Jungle on BBC consumer rights shows.